What makes Vosne Romanee one of the most prestigious wine regions in the world?
The scenic Vosne Romanee commune has an exceptional terroir and centuries of winemaking history behind it.
The commune is home to some of the most renowned Pinot Noir producers like Domaine de la Romanée-Conti (DRC), Domaine Leroy, and Méo-Camuzet. Vosne Romanee is also referred to as the “pearl” of Burgundy and is famed for its supreme Grand Cru vineyards.
So which are the top producers in Vosne Romanee? Which are the best wines to buy in 2021?
This Article Contains:
(Click on the links below to go to a specific section)
- A Quick Intro to the Beautiful Vosne Romanee Commune
- The Iconic Vosne Romanee Vineyards
- Vosne Romanee Wines Characteristics and Food Pairings
- Most Prestigious Vosne Romanee Wines to Buy in 2021
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti Romanee-Conti Grand Cru 2016
- Henri Jayer Cros Parantoux 1999
- Domaine Leroy Richebourg Grand Cru 2015
- Domaine Leroy Romanee-Saint-Vivant Grand Cru 2015
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair La Romanee Grand Cru 2015
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti La Tache Grand Cru Monopole 1990
- Domaine Leroy Aux Brulees 2015
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti Richebourg Grand Cru 1999
- Emmanuel Rouget Cros Parantoux 1989
- Sylvain Cathiard Romanee-Saint-Vivant Grand Cru 2018
A Quick Intro to the Beautiful Vosne Romanee Commune
The winemaking commune of Vosne Romanee lies in the Cote de Nuits appellation of Cote d’Or in Burgundy, France.
The existence of this Bourgogne village dates back to the 6th century. The commune became famous for its winemaking in the Middle Ages when the Saint-Vivant abbey monks settled there.
The Vosne Romanee village is renowned for its wines made exclusively with the Pinot Noir grape variety. According to the regulations, up to 15% of white grape varieties like Chardonnay and Pinot Blanc can be added to the red wine blend.
Some of the top Vosne Romanee wine producers include:
- Domaine de la Romanée-Conti
- Domaine Leroy
- Emmanuel Rouget
- Comte Liger Belair
- Sylvain Cathiard
- Robert Arnoux
- And many others.
The Vosne Romanee appellation includes vineyards from the villages of Vosne Romanee and the neighboring Flagey-Echezeaux.
Let’s look at the vineyards in more detail.
The Iconic Vosne Romanee Vineyards
The Vosne Romanee appellation has 8 Grand Cru sites and 15 Premier Cru vineyard sites.
The commune also has a Village appellation that produces Village wine under the Vosne-Romanee label.
1. Vosne Romanee Grand Cru Vineyards
The Grand Cru vineyards are spread over 27 hectares on the mid-slopes of the Cote d’Or appellation.
There are six Grand Cru vineyard plots in the Vosne Romanee commune. Four of them are monopoles, while the other two are shared by 40 growers. Two of the Grand Cru plots are located on the Flagey-Echezeaux territory.
Here are all of them:
- Romanee-Conti: The Romanee Conti vineyard is a monopole of the famed Domaine de la Romanee Conti. Only 450-600 cases of some of the most expensive and rare investment wines are made in this vineyard.
- La Tache: This Grand Cru vineyard is also a monopole of DRC. It is spread over the vineyards of La Tache and Les Gaudichots on a total of 6 hectares.
- La Romanee: All of 0.84 hectares, this is one of the smallest vineyards in the region and is part of the Liger-Belair holdings.
- Romanee-Saint-Vivant: This is a 9.44-hectare vineyard situated right outside of the Vosne Romanee village. Around half of it is a property of DRC.
- Richebourg: This Grand Cru vineyard is 8 hectares in size and is owned by 11 wine producers, among which are Domaine de la Romanee Conti, Domaine Leroy, and Meo-Camuzet.
- La Grande Rue: This vineyard became a Grand Cru in the 1990s and is a monopole of Domaine Lamarche. The vineyard’s 1.4 hectares lie between the La Tache and La Romanee Conti vineyard sites.
- Echézeaux: This 38-hectare vineyard is located in the Flagey-Echezeaux commune and is a part of the Vosne Romanee appellation.
- Grands Échezeaux: This vineyard is 9 hectares in size and borders the Clos de Vougeot AOC. The lands are mainly planted with old vines. Some of the growers include Joseph Drouhin, DRC, and René Engel.
2. Vosne Romanee Premier Cru Vineyards
The Premier Cru vineyard plots are a total of 57 hectares. They occupy the slightly elevated slopes around the Grand Cru appellation sites and have limestone and clay marl soils.
The Premier Cru vineyards in the Vosne Romanee commune include:
- Les Suchots: A total of 13 hectares in size, this vineyard is situated between Romanée Saint-Vivant, Richebourg, and Echézeaux.
- Les Beaux Monts: This 11-hectare vineyard has various owners like Domaine Leroy, Henri Jayer, and Louis Jadot.
- Les Gaudichots: The 1er Cru section of this vineyard is only 1 hectare in size. The rest of it was classified as a Grand Cru in 1932.
- Aux Brûlées: This 4.5 hectare vineyard has various owners, including Domaine Leroy and Domaine Meo-Camuzet.
- La Croix Rameau: This small vineyard parcel (only 0.6 hectares) borders the Romanee St. Vivant Grand Cru.
- Les Chaumes: At the bottom of the slope, the 6.5-hectare Les Chaumes enjoys deeper and richer soils which translate into beautiful and spicy wines.
- Aux Malconsorts: This Premier Cru vineyard is often compared to the finest Grand Cru terroirs in the region. The 5.8 hectares of vines produce intense yet elegant red wines.
- Clos des Réas: Clos des Réas is a 2-hectare monopole vineyard owned by Domaine Bernard Gros. The vineyard borders the village level wine appellation of Aux Reas.
- Aux Reignots: With a total of 1.6 hectares, this vineyard reaches an elevation of 315 meters. Liger-Belair owns close to half of Aux Reignots.
- Au-dessus des Malconsorts: The vineyard is located near La Tache and is 1 hectare in size. Wines from this vineyard are labeled as “Les Malconsorts.”
- Les Petits Monts: This 3.7-hectare vineyard is split among 20 winemakers.
- Cros Parantoux: This 1-hectare vineyard is planted exclusively with the Pinot Noir grape variety. The vineyard sits on the climat of Richebourg and is owned by Domaine Meo-Camuzet and Emmanuel Rouget.
3. 1er Cru Climats
There are also three 1er Cru climats in the Flagey-Echezeaux village:
- Les Beaux Monts: This Premier Cru vineyard is located on the mid-hills of Cote d’Or. A small section of this vineyard produces grapes for the Pinot Noir village wine.
- Les Rouges: Les Rouges is 2.6 hectares in size and is situated on thin clay soil mixed with small pebbles.
- En Orveaux: The En Orveaux vines are planted in a cool microclimate, taking up 1.8 hectares of the Combe d'Orveaux valley.
Vosne Romanee Wines Characteristics and Food Pairings
Most Vosne Romanee wines have beautiful deep red color, silky texture, and ample tannins. The pleasant acidity of the wine combines beautifully with its dark fruit perfumes.
The wine is aged in new oak after vinification giving it exceptional complexity and undertones of toast, tobacco, and vanilla.
The Burgundian Pinot Noir flavor of raspberry, cherry, and licorice pair well with roasted lamb, smoked game meats, or juicy beef steaks. You could also pair a glass of Vosne Romanee wine with traditional foie gras or various cheese platters.
So, which Vosne Romanee wine bottles should you look out for in 2021?
Most Prestigious Vosne Romanee Wines to Buy in 2021
Here are our top Vosne Romanee picks:
1. Domaine de la Romanee-Conti Romanee-Conti Grand Cru 2016
This seductive Pinot Noir Burgundy wine comes straight from the coveted Domaine de la Romanee-Conti. The red wine has a seductive mouthfeel and beautiful finesse. On the palate, licorice and dark fruit flavors unravel, followed by an elegant red fruit aroma.
Price of Domaine de la Romanee-Conti Romanee-Conti Grand Cru 2016: $22,742
2. Henri Jayer Cros Parantoux 1999
This dense and powerful Premier Cru wine captures the essence of the exceptional Vosne Romanee terroir. Each sip offers mild tannin levels, bright acidity, and red cherry flavor. On the nose, there is a persistent but subtle aroma of dark fruit and ripe grapes.
Price of Henri Jayer Cros Parantoux 1999: $21,866
3. Domaine Leroy Richebourg Grand Cru 2015
Here we have a great wine from Domaine Leroy. This vintage is the perfect balance between astonishing finesse and powerful intensity. The palate offers juicy plum fruit and cherry flavor notes accompanied by an elegant dark fruit aroma.
Price of Domaine Leroy Richebourg Grand Cru 2015: $11,430
4. Domaine Leroy Romanee-Saint-Vivant Grand Cru 2015
This red Burgundy surprises with its lively acidity and silky mouthfeel. The mild tannin levels complement the intense raspberry fruit and cherry flavor notes which transition into a long mineral finish.
Price of Domaine Leroy Romanee-Saint-Vivant Grand Cru 2015: $9,714
5. Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair La Romanee Grand Cru 2015
This great wine has an opulent nose with a dense aroma of ripe dark fruit. The palate offers a complex flavor bouquet of spices, cherry, and strawberry with forest floor hints.
Price of Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair La Romanee Grand Cru 2015: $7,327
6. Domaine de la Romanee-Conti La Tache Grand Cru Monopole 1990
This wine’s bright acidity overpowers the smooth tannin levels that reflect the La Tache Grand Cru terroir. The seductive mouthfeel is complemented by raspberry, ripe fruit, and leather flavors.
Price of Domaine de la Romanee-Conti La Tache Grand Cru Monopole 1990: $7,545
7. Domaine Leroy Aux Brulees 2015
This Premier Cru wine has a delightful bold texture and chewy tannins. The flavorful bouquet of aromas includes cherry, red fruit, and ripe grapes. On the palate, the distinct dark fruit flavor is accompanied by earthy and chocolate hints.
Price of Domaine Leroy Aux Brulees 2015: $5,787
8. Domaine de la Romanee-Conti Richebourg Grand Cru 1999
This dry red Burgundy has a traditional intense ruby color and dense cherry and dark fruit aroma. On the palate, there are beautiful spice and berry flavor notes that transition into a mild finish.
Price of Domaine de la Romanee-Conti Richebourg Grand Cru 1999: $4,830
9. Emmanuel Rouget Cros Parantoux 1989
This well-balanced Burgundy wine is the perfect combination of finesse and intensity. On the palate, the beautiful cherry flavor is accompanied by caramel and chocolate aromas.
Price of Emmanuel Rouget Cros Parantoux 1989: $4,476
10. Sylvain Cathiard Romanee-Saint-Vivant Grand Cru 2018
This astonishing Burgundian Pinot Noir has an opulent nose of spice, rose petals, and red fruit. On the palate, the juicy fruit flavor has layers of mineral and truffle tones, accompanied by beautiful soft tannins.
Price of Sylvain Cathiard Romanee-Saint-Vivant Grand Cru 2018: $3,391
Now, let’s see the investment potential of Vosne Romanee wine.
Investing in Vosne Romanee Wines
The Grand Cru Vosne Romanee wines are a great investment option. Most of these French wines have at least 10-15 years of aging potential.
Many of these wines are also incredibly hard to find since they are produced in limited quantities. So, no wonder Vosne Romanee wines command high prices upon release and also increase in value over time.
The price increases have been stable over the years. For example, between 2019 and 2021:
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti Romanee-Conti Grand Cru 2000 rose by 25%, from $21,601 to $27,106.
- The 1985 vintage of Henri Jayer Cros Parantoux jumped up 59% from $10,966 to $17,463.
Vosne Romanee wines also star at many auctions. For example, at the Acker’s auction in Hong Kong in 2020:
- Six bottles of Domaine de la Romanee-Conti in 1980 were sold for a whopping $108,000.
- A 6 bottle lot of Domaine Leroy Richebourg 1997 sold for $64,000.
- Three bottles of Henri Jayer Vosne Romanee Cros Parantoux 1999 sold at $38,400.
With such excellent investment potential, these wines make a great addition to any wine lover’s portfolio.
But is there an easier way to add a bottle of these prestigious wines to your portfolio without waiting for the next big auction?
Buy Vosne Romanee and Other Exquisite Wines Through Vinovest
Vinovest is an AI-based wine investment platform that offers you an easy and safe way of investing in wine.
How Does it Work?
Getting started is easy. Just follow the steps:
- Sign up with your name, email, and password.
- Fill out a short questionnaire that will help determine your investment style.
- Fund your account (the required minimum is $1,000.)
- Vinovest’s algorithm will let you select from a customized list of wine bottles.
- Sit back, relax with a glass of French wine, and watch your portfolio grow!
Vinovest also offers many benefits. Some of them are:
1. Easy Buying and Selling Using AI-driven Technology
You can buy the best investment-grade wines from all over the world with just a few simple clicks.
2. Best Prices
You get below-retail prices for exquisite wines like Chambolle Musigny and Gevrey-Chambertin because Vinovest sources its wines directly from winemakers, wine merchants, and global wine exchanges.
3. Optimal Storage
If you don’t have a wine cellar, Vinovest will take care of your wine storage. All of your wine cases will be safely stored in bonded warehouses that maintain proper light, humidity, vibration, and temperature levels.
4. Curated Portfolio
Not sure how to build a successful wine portfolio? Vinovest’s wine expert team will hand-pick the best collectible wines that reflect your investment preferences.
5. Authenticity and Provenance
Buying wine online imposes the risk of getting a counterfeit bottle. However, Vinovest goes the extra length and traces each wine bottle’s provenance, and guarantees its authenticity.
6. Low Overall Cost and Tax Advantages
Vinovest charges a low annual fee of 2.85% (or 2.5% for portfolios exceeding $50,000.) The fee covers everything from wine buying and selling to insurance, fraud detection, and portfolio management.
7. Access to a Global Network
With Vinovest, you get access to an extensive wine network, limited releases of new wines, and private sales of wine companies. You can even join the wine tasting events, which feature renowned winemakers and vineyards.
8. Hassle-free Delivery
Do you want your wine delivered to you or a buyer? Just let Vinovest know when and where you want your wine shipped, and they’ll take care of the rest.
Vosne Romanee: The Jewel of Cote de Nuits
Beautiful historic vineyards, an exceptional terroir, renowned producers, and centuries of winemaking - Vosne Romanee has all the secret ingredients needed to make some of the most highly-priced wines in the world.
Owning these Pinot Noir wines from the heart of Burgundy is a privilege for any wine lover.
Vinovest can help you get some of the rarest Vosne Romanee wines and more at the best possible prices. So, sign up to build an enviable collection of the finest wines in the world.